Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Turn

I am often reminded of the fears that young children have about new experiences. One of my granddaughters recently had oral surgery and lots of discussion had to happen before the event to dispel some of her fears. I never have and still don't like going to the dentist. I remember my mother holding my hand and reassuring me as I went to visit the town dentist. Even with reassurance, it still hurt. I had a role reversal this week. My mother, who suffers from Alzheimer's, had to have some teeth removed. I was trying to reassure her, prior to going in, that everything would be fine. I don't think she totally understood, but during a lucid moment she said, "I still don't like the idea." It was much like reassuring a child. It was my turn. I am sure it still hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment