Monday, February 5, 2007

Head Start Reminder


I had the opportunity to present a workshop at the California Head Start Association conference in Newport Beach this past week. It is always delightful to meet with Head Start folks. It reminds me how much I miss working with that population. Even with the government jerking funding around in the last couple of years, these dedicated people keep providing services to children and families. It is the family aspect that makes Head Start so wonderful. I wish that we could provide the same family support for parents in K-2 classrooms. It would take care of many problems we encounter as the children get older and parents' support of education wanes. It would take some funding, but I think that in the long run it would be much cheaper. Investing in early childhood is always cost-effective. Just look at the research!

No comments:

Post a Comment